Discover more from Holy Sip
We're importing chicken from China and other tidbits
Last week was an incredibly long week. You never realize someone is crazy until it's entirely too late. And I'm not using the word crazy lightly. It's especially sucky when they've invested money in your business and try to make your life difficult at every turn. This is a much longer story, but one day I'll tell it.
Despite the madness, I still had a great week. Here are some things that kept me sane last week (and a few others that baffled me).
1. I had my second Midnight Barbecue on Friday. I'm honestly surprised and humbled at how well received this has been. I was so worried about the first one that I dragged my feet on inviting people. I'm proud of how it turned out and it makes me grateful for all the times I freaked out about the path of my life last year. I finally feel like I'm on the right track. You can watch the recap of the first one here. If you'd like the chance to be invited, please fill out the form here. Special thanks to LIFEWTR and 1893 Cola for helping to make this happen.
2. The rapper Prodigy from Mobb Deep has a cookbook with recipes from his time in prison. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's genius. It highlights the deplorable food conditions in the prison system and includes recipes like this: Curry Gravy - "Unwrap the butter and put it into a bowl. Microwave that sh*t for like 30 seconds until the butter is soft but not completely melted. Open the can of beans (save the lid) and drain all the liquid into the bowl of butter. That's gonna be the thickening agent, since curry outside uses flour and shit. Use a lot of curry powder. You just gotta OD with the curry powder. Add a little adobo, pepper and salt. Mix it all together. If it tastes like sh*t, you did it wrong."
3. The US is going to start allowing the import of chicken from China. It will be cooked so I assume that it will be mainly used at places that sell processed stuff. Either way, I'm not into it. I can't figure out how that is trusted at all.
4. B.o.B. held his listening party at the space a few weeks ago and Billboard did a write up on it which landed a photo of him at Studio No. 7 on the Billboard website. Not too bad. I also found a photo of him standing on one of our sofas. I'll let that go though.
5. I'm a little tired of not being able to figure out what I can and can not eat. When did this get so complicated?! Turns out that organic food isn't exactly organic. I'd long suspected that most of it isn't, but I think the more this is investigated, the more we'll see how bad this actually is. I might just have to start my own farm one day.
6. The reactions to my last newsletter about the homeless man living in our alley were so different. Some people found humor, others thought that I should kick him out and other people felt that I was doing the right thing by letting him stay. Thanks to everyone that gave their input. I'm going to let him stay and I'm also working on being nicer.